Head north to Eagles Mere for a unique experience!
Looking for a one-of-a-kind winter weekend getaway sure to please the whole family? Keep an eye out for the famous Eagles Mere Toboggan Slide, located three hours northwest of the Main Line in the heart of Pennsylvania’s Endless Mountains region.
Warming winters and COVID-19 have prevented the slide from opening for several years, but with luck and cold temperatures, this could be the season that sees its return. Watch the website for updated information.
What to Expect
A trip down the Eagles Mere Toboggan Slide is a thrill that will last a lifetime. Icy winds whip past your face as you race down the quarter-mile ice slide at up to 45 MPH, and speed out onto the surface of the frozen lake. You catch your breath and admire the scenery as you climb out of the toboggan. Then comes the long trek back up the hill, towing the toboggan for another ride. Or perhaps it’s time for a toasty hot cocoa and a souvenir.
Winter of 1904 saw the first run of the Toboggan Slide, much to the delight of the residents of Eagles Mere. Credit for the idea goes to the grandchildren of Capt. E. S. Chase, a man who had a hand in the development of the town. They begged their grandfather for “a real good toboggan slide” and Capt. Chase set out to design one. The town enthusiastically embraced Capt. Chase’s creation, and the tradition has continued for well over a century.
Even today, the slide is constructed the same way as in Capt. Chase’s time. When the ice on Eagles Mere Lake is at least 12 inches thick, members of the Eagles Mere Volunteer Fire Company saw blocks from the lake and haul them up Lake Avenue to form the slide. The slide is smoothed with a planer, grooved to accommodate the toboggan rails, and tested for safety. Then it’s time to fly!
Where to Stay
For the full experience, check out the Toboggan Slide guest room at the nearby Eagles Mere Inn. Jim Way, Borough Council Member and new General Manager of the inn, anticipates Toboggan Slide specials for visitors. Taking the historic inn forward, he emphasizes consistent quality and service through retaining good talent with connection to the organization. His goal is “to be more involved with the community,” and to be open to anything. “We really want to encourage more groups to come here, whether it be couples [for a] getaway…maybe a wine tasting or a bourbon tasting…mystery dinners.” If groups have a theme they want to work with, the inn would be happy to accommodate.
Know Before You Go
- You can find the Toboggan Slide at the intersection of Rt. 42 and Lake Avenue, Eagles Mere, PA from around President’s Day Weekend to March, weather permitting.
- Toboggans are rented on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations are not accepted.
- Toboggans hold up to five adults and can be rented for $25.00 for one hour only, guaranteeing at least 2 runs.
- Adult supervision must be present per toboggan. Ride at your own risk. No alcoholic beverages allowed. No animals on the toboggans.
- The Snack Shack on site offers hot cocoa and other refreshments which can be enjoyed around the fire pit. Souvenirs are also available for purchase.
- Once the Toboggan Slide opens, it operates on Friday evenings from 6:30-9:30, Saturdays from 10:00 AM-8:00 PM, and Sundays from 10:00 AM-6:00 PM. Toboggans are rented as available up to one hour before closing.
Proceeds from the Eagles Mere Toboggan Slide benefit the Eagles Mere Volunteer Fire Company. Head north this winter to have some great fun for a great cause!